The City of Portsmouth has an opening for the full-time position of Code Enforcement Officer
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Proactively patrolling for violations of municipal codes
- Conducts field investigations regarding possible violations of a variety of municipal codes and ordinances related to buildings, structures, property maintenance, nuisances, business licenses/permits, zoning landscape and other ordinances.
- Issue notice of violations, summons and/or citations for code violations. Informs owner, holder of certificate of occupancy, or tenant of inspection findings and conditions
- Explains and interprets township ordinances to violators; sets deadlines for compliance and follow-up.
- Provides case preparation and sworn testimony in cases of non-compliance
- Maintain all records of actions in iWorq. Keeping records, both written and photograph, of all visits, inspections and contact for possible legal action later.
- When required, attend meetings, both public and serve as a
resource to other township departments, the general public, community groups, and outside agencies related to code compliance.
- Work closely with the Fire Inspector and Chief Building Official as needed for unsafe properties and other compliance issues.
- Supervise community service workers conducting
- High school diploma
- Minimum of one-year experience in code enforcement or
- Must have and maintain a valid State of Ohio driver's license
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing in English.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and the ability to learn other types of computer programs.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Ability to handle and manage hostile situations
Pay Range: $35,360 - $41,600 annually (commensurate swith experience)
Job type- Full-Time Monday-Friday
Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage; PERS and paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug Free Workplace / Veterans
Apply by submitting a cover letter of interest, resume and three professional references to Sam Sutherland, Portsmouth City Manager, 728 Second Street, Portsmouth, Ohio 45662. Submittals may also be emailed to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until July 2, 2021.